26 December 2009

winter tools

Due to the recent snowstorm, I've discovered the hazards of winter weather. All of sudden, the world is a cold, wet, icy, slippery and snowy potential death trap.

I've found these tools to help me navigate the hazards of New England's winter wonderland:

(1) Spare Spike: http://www.winterwalking.com/products/spare-spiketm ($24.95), a device that slips over my boots and provides traction on ice and slippery surfaces. (Will damage flooring, however. Figuring out how to get them on and off without wrecking indoor floors is still a challenge.) Haven't used these yet, but they fit well over my boots and look promising.

(2) Ice spike attachment for cane ($8.99): I purchased this locally, at Apex Pharmacy in Hamden, Connecticut (a full-service pharmacy with a comprehensive line of home medical equipment and medical supplies) Can also be found at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Prong-Grip-Crutch-Attachment/dp/B0009STN2E/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_b). Works great--but will definitely damage floors.

(3) Crutch tips with retractable ice spikes: I haven't purchased these (hoping to not be on crutches for much longer) but have found many variations online ranging in price from $15 to $90.

No comments:

Post a Comment